Account Set Up Case Study
Challenge: The challenge was two-fold: design an experience that would support Trulia’s internal Customer Service and Sales teams in getting new customers up and running. Also, support new customers with a tool that would take them through the setup process quickly and easily.
Result: After purchasing their first order, customers were prompted to complete the onboarding experience. 388 out of 581 (67%) went through the experience, and 88% completed all the steps.
• Engage customers and reduce churn by ensuring correct product setup.
• Build trust by creating a uniform customer experience for everyone.
• Increase sales productivity by transferring the on-boarding segment to an on-boarding CS specialists.
• Increase profile completeness.
• New customers (Real Estate Agents) who have purchased a Trulia product.
• Inside Sales and Customer Service Agents.
Primary User Story
• Once a sale was completed, and email was sent to the customer with a link to the Onboarding Experience. The Inside Sales Agent transferred the call to a Customer Service Agent, and they walked through the set up with the customer.
• I read the Inside Sales and Customer Service agent scripts to fully understand their process.
• I listened into a number of calls to understand customer interactions and how sales are made.
Inspiration: I examined best practices: Contained apps, Contextual messaging, Dashboards, Interstitials, Sidebars, Progress Meters.
User Flows: Because of the complexity of the product, it was important to understand the relationship of the elements. I mapped out the user touchpoints and triggers so the team could better understand how onboarding fit within the larger context of the purchase experience.
The Product: A tool with 5 easy steps helped customers set up their profile and products. A hierarchical list of tasks with easy, supportive instruction could be completed in any order.
Outcome: With updated scripts and a new tool, IS spent more time selling, CS got new customers started with confidence, agents received leads more quickly, and calls to CS decreased.
The form is pre-filed with user info from account set up process. Checking the “This is my mobile number” causes the number to appear on the Instant Leads screen. By default it’s not checked. All fields are required, with the default photo considered fulfilling the requirement. When the user clicks “Next” and they haven’t uploaded a photo, they are gently reminded via a modal that agents with profile photos get 10X more clicks.
When a step is complete, it gets crossed off the list. Agents can add locations by entering values in the input box or clicking the “Nearby” links below. Locations can be removed by clicking the “x” next to the location.
System pulls in all of the agent’s current listings on Trulia. From here they can Feature a listing by checking the box. Featuring a listing is a paid feature of the product they purchased. Click “Take me to my listings” and see an modal with message that user is concluding the process. Click “Done” and see one final screen with messaging about other things to do on Trulia
Final screen with all the steps finished. Menu is open so the agent can see all the features available to them. The content in the promo modules can be easily swapped out. The “Close” button takes the agent to their profile page.